As a small business owner, saving money is critical. This is especially the case when it comes to remodeling and rebuilding your small business’ office space. Indeed, building materials can be costly, renting equipment can be costly and the services of a contractor can go through the roof. So, it can help to have some tips to cut costs without sacrificing quality or the work environment of your space. In the end, you want to create the ideal environment for yourself and your employees, so that your business can grow and become successful. Here are five office space renovation money-saving tips for small business owners.
- Use recycled materials : Whether you are updating the interior or the exterior of your office space, you can very easily find and utilize materials that have been used in another office space or commercial building. For instance, if you are looking for paneling for the exterior of your business, you may want to look for older buildings that have been demolished. Maybe your building crew can scrap some of that material. Going this route can save a significant amount of money.
- Do your own demolition : If you have to knock down walls and break ground for your renovation, it could be incredibly costly to hire a company to do the demolition for you. So, why not do the demolition yourself? All you will really need is some heavy-duty sledgehammers and handsaws. In fact, you can have all the demolition done in a single weekend if you put your mind to it. It may even be fun. Just be careful, though, of main utility lines and other essential service lines, like electricity. Before you sink a hammer into the walls, you may want to mark where these main lines are and take extra precautions.
- Use a contractor that already has all the right tools : In most remodel jobs, you may have to pay for the rental of major tools and equipment. This is why you want to find a contractor that already has these tools in his or her arsenal. For instance, if you need to hire the services of a crane operator, you could be spending an exorbitant amount of money. So, it would be ideal if your commercial contractor already has a crane – hopefully one purchased from a manufacturer like Zoomlion Cranes.
- Save money on the interior of your office by opting out of cubicles and fancy features – Remodeling can really get out of hand when you start going for expensive materials, like marble and slate for your walls. So, you want to stick to the basics when it comes to the materials you use. The same goes for cubicles – having an open floor plan will look beautiful and it will be affordable.
- Go for imitation materials and faux finishes – You can still make your office look beautiful by going or faux materials and finishes. Instead of going for expensive wood paneling – why not go for laminate with faux wood grain? In the end, your office will look just as beautiful – but at a fraction of the cost.